How many new persons do you meet everyweek? Less than 10 new people? I meet new people everyday. At least four or five new people I meet every workdays. Sometimes, it is hard for to remember that we have exchanged business card when on another day I meet the same person again. Being able to remember names is a valuable asset for me. It helps me build instant rapport with new contacts, andit makes a decidedly good impression too.
Thanks to Kate Lorenz from CareerBuilder.com who has written a comprehensive list on how to remembering name. Sometime, I am ashamed when somebody calls me but I forget his/her name. Read tricks from Lorenz to remember names easily.
- The first step to remembering a name is to pay attention as you are introduced.
- Verify what he or she wishes to be called.
- Imagine seeing the name written across the person’s forehead.
- Imagine writing the name by moving your finger in micro-muscle movements as you are seeing the name and saying it to yourself.
- Use word association; if a man’s name is Arnold, imagine him as the “Terminator” or striking a body-builder pose.
- Try to use the name three or four times during your conversation.
- Record the name in a “new contacts” file
What are your tricks to remember names?